donderdag 31 maart 2011

My Life as Lisa: I’ve been looking for Freedom


For the first time in roughly two months I get up early with a smile on my face (instead of cursing the day) and welcome the sun into my room. The breakfast I buy at the Agrimarkt on the way to the station where I take the train to Antwerp. I don't have a certain plan or goal: I just want to stroll around in the sunshine and enjoy life. Preferably while shopping – hey, I am only human (and female), too. Unfortunately my dear (male) companion ends up exhausted after an hour of me running through different shops, squeaking from joy about every handbag, shoe or jewellery item that I can get into my hands (and put down again with a sad sigh – hey, I am only a poor student, too). I end up staying till 22.30 p.m., allowing myself to have a cool Guinness at the Irish Pub. When I take the train home, I wonder what the next day will bring. The clue about this: I don't know yet and I don't care, it will be amazing anyway.
Those were my two days of ultimate freedom. Two days - makes a weekend. And a luxury RA students usually cannot have. I took this freedom anyway and at this point I can literally feel my teachers and fellow students shaking their heads. But it was Spring BREAK and the week after unleashed-from-hell-midterm-week. I deserved it!!!! I deserved it. I ....didn't I? Here comes the ugly truth about my university. Yes, I deserved it. We all deserve it after working our fingers bloody from typing endless essays, sleep depriviation of 7 weeks (= our semester so far) and a worrying lack of private life. We cannot have it, though. We need to be available 24/7 for all sorts of groupwork crises and assignment related nervous breakdowns from all sides. Even on vacation.
Still I took those days off. Why? Because...well....mere whimsy. Because I can. Because I am cool like that. What a rebel I am, hah! The sun is shining. I can meet my friends again. I see my parents, finally eat good food and actually have the time to catch up on all those TV series I am so crazy about. Flowers are blossoming: spring is on its way. Life is good. Don't get me wrong, I love RA: We are all mad here. Some say you can only survive if you are as mad as a hatter (luckily I am, too, Johnny!). Life at RA is crazy but beautiful (hey, we also have sun and flowers and sometimes TV session here, too). There is this scene in Mona Lisa Smile when the teacher is completely perplexed when all the students have read the entire textbook for the course already. Ever since I can remember I have wanted this. And it is soooo RA.
I love being a student. Therefore I need(ed) those two days off and I know deep inside you all grant me them, even if there is a stench of jealousy. Because now my batteries are reloaded for another 8 weeks of gorgeous insanity. Now I can put all my energy, heart and passion into my studies again. I am ready for the rest of the semester, which, honestly, sometimes can seem a bit scary. But all I can say to this is:
 Bring it on. Challenge accepted!



My name is Lisa Theresa, I'm a Theatre&Media Studies Student, minoring in Statistics merely for the sake of insanity. I am a second year at Roosevelt Academy and apart from work in other committees head of the Campus News Project (www.ra-campusnews.webs.com).

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten